Wednesday, June 24, 2009

{love at first sight} george nakashima

One afternoon while I was browsing a furniture design and accessory store on Beverly blvd in Los Angeles, a ground-breaking earthquake occurred that led me to a treasure trove of inspiration. . . Well, at least, that's how it pops up in my memory.

Nonetheless, the first time I picked up a book about the work of George Nakashima certainly resonates as serendipitous and awe-inspiring, as it immediately struck a chord in me.

The book, "Nature, Form, and Spirit: The Life and Legacy of George Nakashima," is written by his daughter, Mira Nakashima and spans his history and life's work as an artist and architect, or - as he liked to be referred to - woodworker. Nakashima was born to immigrant Japanese parents in the United States in 1905. As a young boy, a feeling of deep unrest led him to roam the mountains in the Pacific Northwest where he lived to search for "a reason for being."He began studying forestry, then architecture and, later, woodworking. After years of intense study and experience, he eventually set up a studio for furniture making in New Hope, Pennsylvania. Unlike the "made-to-sell" mentality of today, Nakashima's work was god-centered in that it involved surrendering the ego, and exemplified his belief that we must constantly remember the eternal in all that we do.
The goal of Nakashima's work was to encourage people to live in harmony with nature, rather than destroy it for their own use.
Nakashima was keenly aware of the spiritual essence inherent in nature, and always said that his work gave "a second life to trees."
For Nakashima, design and construction were one and the same: equal thought and intention should be given to both so that there is meaning in all that we do!Nakashima's philosphy and approach to his work, rather than just the pieces themselves, are what make him unique. Although the physical forms of his creations are relatively easy to imitate, the totality of his approach and work is undeniably irreplicable. For me, it is the pure love and spirit in his work that make it inspirational.
*The daybed I want for my birthday. . . Sigh :)

2 comments:

  1. Ok, I finished it. I love the pieces! ALL OF THEM! This is an excellent post. I am going to look him up the second I finish typing this up.

    ReplyDelete